The holidays are upon us, and we're all bubble-diagramming our menus and dreaming up side dishes to share. I'm all about the side dishes. Stuffing. Green Bean Casseroles. Mashed Potatoes. Roasted Veggies.
And maybe some turkey. But really, more taters, please! This Sweet Potato Casserole is a worthy substitute to a traditional sweet potato casserole that may include dairy or gluten.
The pecan and coconut flake topping is crunchy, yet can be sweetened up with a dash of maple syrup, if you prefer a sweeter variety. I'm sensitive to sugar, and it can give me hangover-like symptoms the next morning if I indulge too much. And since Thanksgiving and the holiday season is ripe with sweet treats, I'd rather keep my side dishes less sweet and more savory.
Bake this Sweet Potato Casserole for 35 minutes or longer, until the sides and pecans brown up a bit. Enjoy this dish and the season!
Sweet Potato Casserole
Recipe type: Paleo, Primal
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ C full-fat coconut milk
- 1 TBSP butter or ghee
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium-sized glass dish or casserole dish.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and place over high heat. Add the peeled and chopped sweet potatoes into the pot. Once the water begins to boil, turn the heat down to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook for 15 minutes, or until a fork easily penetrates the potato.
- Using a colander, pour potatoes into the colander and strain the water. Place the potatoes back into the large pot. Using a potato masher or hand mixer, mash the potatoes until fairly smooth. Add the coconut milk, butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes to the greased glass dish.
- For the topping, roughly chop the pecans. Combine the chopped pecans, coconut flakes, melted butter and salt. Mix well and add the topping to the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until topping is slightly brown.