Stuffed bell peppers are one of my favorite recipes! When I was growing up, I would load up my stuffed bell pepper with cheese, beans and the kitchen sink. These days my skin and stomach don't tolerate dairy, but worry not -- this dairy-free version is full of flavor and loaded with seasoned meat, onion, tomato and a punch of garlic.
These Southwest Stuffed Bell Peppers make a great oven-roasted dinner. But, they're also ideal for breakfast or brunch because of the added protein-packed eggs.
Top with something green -- I like chives or parsley!
Southwest Stuffed Bell Pepper
Recipe type: 21DSD, Whole30, Paleo, Gluten-Free
Cuisine: Main Dish, Dinner
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Makes 3 servings
1 serving : 346 calories // 13 C // 16 F // 36 P
- Light spray of olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 pound ground turkey (or lean ground turkey, chicken)
- 3-4 large bell peppers, sliced in half, core discarded
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Garnish with chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the cooking fat and add garlic, white onion, salt, pepper, paprika and chili powder. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- While meat is cooking, slice the bell peppers in half lengthwise and discard core and seeds.
- Crack and beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Place the ground turkey mixture into a separate bowl and add the beaten eggs. Combine well.
- Carefully scoop meat & egg mixture into each of the of the bell pepper halves.
- Place on baking sheet in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped chives.