Frittatas are for the romantic Sunday brunch. And they're also for meal prep day -- a make-ahead breakfast dish to keep you covered for weekday breakfasts. So, frittatas are both whimsical and practical. Perfect! My normal frittatas recipe goes like this : look in the fridge, grab any vegetable on it's last leg, combine with eggs and spices and cook -- read: they're not well planned out. But, sometimes I get fancy with my frittata and use a recipe. Genius, I know. And with this Pesto & Roasted Red Pepper Frittata recipe, I combined my two great loves -- roasted red bell peppers and pesto.
Pesto is perfect, as long as your friends, colleagues, and cohabitants don't mind a little garlic breath. And I can eat roasted red bell peppers by the jarful. Combine with a little zesty arugula and you're going to town!
On that practical note, frittatas are really great for a busy family or person who strives to eat a healthy breakfast, but doesn't have time to cook each morning.
Plan for the week : make this recipe on Sunday, slice into wedges, place in a glass container, and eat throughout the week!
Pesto & Roasted Red Pepper Frittata
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Paleo, Whole30, 21DSD
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 cup arugula, loosely packed
- 1 cup spinach, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup dairy-free pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with butter or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and diced onion. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and stir for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Then fold in sliced roasted red peppers, arugula, spinach, pesto, salt and pepper. Add garlic and onion mixture, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the egg filling into the pie pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve!