Salads should never be boring. But, sometimes they are.
How many times have you been to a restaurant, wanted to order healthfully and ended up with a ho-hum salad? I'm flailing my hand in the air. Right. Here.
But, here one thing I know : pesto is amazing. It almost sounds like pasta -- which is also amazing. Pesto is creamy, nutty, vibrant and can turn a chicken breast into a work of art in no time flat. And while you're at it, add a bit of mayo to the pesto to turn this salad into a creamy-pesto delight!
And let's be honest -- it's all about the toppings. I love sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. I could eat an entire jar in one sitting. But, I try not to. Because it's expensive. And a girl can't buy 7 jars of sun dried tomatoes every week.
Don't let your salad succumb to the boring droll of salad-ville. Just add pesto!
Creamy Pesto Chicken & Sun-Dried Tomato Salad
Recipe type: Salad
Cuisine: Paleo, 21DSD, Whole30, Gluten-Free
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
1 serving : 625 calories // 27 C // 33 F // 43 P
- 1 cup tightly packed basil
- 3 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. juice of a lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound chicken breast (use 6 ounces for this salad)
- 1 Tbsp. homemade mayo or Primal Kitchen mayo
- 1 Tbsp. dairy-free pesto
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. golden raisins
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and slivered
- Place all pesto ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay chicken breasts on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place chicken in oven for 30 minutes, or until flesh is white and juices are clear.
- Allow chicken to cool, then slice chicken into 1/2 cubes.
- Place desired amount of chicken in a bowl and begin to add pesto and mayo in a 1:1 ratio, continuing to mix well.
- Prepare salad with arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, pine nuts, golden raisins and olives. Enjoy!