It may be a bit too early to be dreaming about summer -- I mean, the Easter bunny hasn't even arrived yet -- but hey, a girl can dream.
Luckily, I have a handy indoor cast iron grill and can (sort of) replicate the delight of summer from my indoor grill.
I lamented on Instagram a few weeks back that if you want quality -- like pesto made without canola oil -- you have to make it yourself. Unfortunately, store-bought pesto is usually full of junky oils.
So, make your own pesto with a few simple ingredients and keep the pesto on-hand to use as a dip or spread throughout the week. I often top my eggs, egg whites or a simple chicken dish with a dollop of pesto.
With this Grilled Pesto Chicken & Tomato Skewers recipe, the key to flavorful chicken cubes is to allow the pesto to marinate into the chicken for as long as possible, even overnight.
Once you thread the chicken and tomatoes onto the skewer and pop on the grill, those tomatoes burst with flavor! If you're grilling these on an indoor grill, be sure to brush the grill with oil so that the chicken doesn't stick.
Serve with a side of sweet potato, rice or other starch for a well-rounded meal!
Grilled Pesto Chicken & Tomato Skewers
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Whole30, 21DSD, Paleo
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 12 minutes
Makes 4 servings
1 serving : 270 calories // 2 C // 18 F // 25 P
- 1 cup packed basil
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. juice of a lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 pound skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4" cubes
- 30 cherry tomatoes
- Place basil, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cut raw chicken into 3/4" cubes. In a medium bowl, toss pesto and cubed chicken. Refrigerate the pesto chicken and allow flavors to combine for 2-3 hours.
- In the meantime, place 8-10 wooden skewers in a water bath for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator. Pierce and alternate cubed pesto chicken and tomatoes on each wooden skewer.
- Heat outdoor or indoor grill for 5 minutes, or until grill is hot.
- Lightly brush grill with olive oil and place skewers on grill. Grill for 5 minutes, flip and grill for another 4-5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.