Breakfast is so easy to do right. If I were to open a restaurant, it would be a breakfast or brunch joint serving classic favorites -- hash browns, eggs, omelettes and every different type of sausage out there.
But owning a restaurant seems like a lot of work, and I'm not sure I could wake up that early every day. And I don't know if I could handle bad Yelp reviews. It would break my heart if someone didn't like my Eggs Benny and Hashies.
Back to my judgement-free reality, I've been using more ground chicken in my cooking. And I've been making up these sage and apple-filled patties for breakfast.
If you easily get burned out on repeat breakfasts, these Morning Sage Chicken and Apple Patties are perfect for leftovers -- place in a container in the freezer and pull out for later in the week, or the following week.
Morning Sage Chicken and Apple Patties
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Paleo, 21DSD, Whole30
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
1 serving : 210 calories // 7 C // 10 F // 23 P
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 1 medium sweet apple, cored, and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh sage, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. butter for frying
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter, then add diced onion and apple. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, cook for 1 more minute, then turn off heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the cooled mixture of apple, onion and garlic into a large bowl. Add ground chicken, sea salt, ground black pepper, fresh sage and dried thyme. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with additional butter. Form the sausage into 2-3 inch diameter circular patties and place on skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Don't press down on the patties -- the juices will escape and the patties will be less moist.