Update: This Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookie recipe was my very first recipe posted to this blog. I published it on June 15th, 2014 -- just over one year ago. I probably tried to publish the recipe on June 13th and 14th, but couldn't find the publish post button, then read some forums, watched some videos and finally figured out where to find the button.
As my life motto goes: the secret to life is knowing how to google stuff.
Snapshot of one year ago, June 2014: I was working at my architecture job. I was gearing up for a busy summer of managing construction projects. I had also just enrolled at Bauman College for Nutrition. I had a dream of doing something different, but was scared.
Back to the recipe, it's surprising that these Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies were the first posted recipe. I don't even like to bake. I'm bad at measuring. Flours are fickle. Baking requires lots of do-overs. And, it's hard to mess up chicken.
But, I bake because my husband likes cookies. So when there's a full moon and the stars align, I bake up a treat and watch him smile from ear-to-ear.
This Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookie recipe only makes about 12 cookies. Enough to indulge in one or two, share with friends, then drink some coconut milk and hit the hay.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 22 mins
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 dark chocolate bar (roughly 3/4 cups chopped dark chocolate) or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Break up dark chocolate bar into roughly 1" x 1" pieces, or as small as you can break. Chop dark chocolate bar with sharp knife into chunky pieces, as chunky or tiny as you like.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, use an electric handheld mixer to beat honey (honey many need to be slightly warmed to accommodate mixing), egg and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients (honey, egg and vanilla) into dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda and salt) and mix well.
- Melt coconut oil and pour into batter. Mix well.
- Stir in dark chocolate chunks.
- Spread a thin layer of ghee on a baking sheet. Or cover sheet with parchment paper. Drop on the balls of cookie dough.
- Bake for 12 minutes.